Monday, December 15, 2008

Mead v2.0

Mead v1.0 looks promising, but unfortunately it tasted better as must than after the fermentation. I hope that storage will improve it. Inspired by the fact that the (1.040 oechsle) must tasted great I'm making a sweeter mead this time. I read a very interesting and well written book about Mead making called The Complete Meadmaker.

I used the no-heat method described in The Complete Meadmaker, in which the honey is not heated at all. According to the book this will preserve the flavor and aroma of the honey. Also instead of boiling spices with the hops I used whole spice (cinnamon, carnation, and anise + ground ginger) and only ground them lightly in the mortar. Then I left them in the must for three weeks.

I boiled 10l of water for one hour. I left 80g of Saaz hops in the water for the entire duration, 30g was added after 30 minutes, and another 30g after 45 minute. Lemon rind from two lemons were also left in the entire time. The resulting must was very dark. It was undrinkable sweet and had a overpowering taste of hops.

I only had Dry Mead yeast which in theory can survive unto 18% alcohol. So I added only 8kg honey, giving me a total volume of 25l with OE 1.100. Which in turn will give 13,75% alcohol. After the fermentation I will kill off the yeast by adding sulfate and moving the must to a cold room. After which I will added more honey to give me OE of 1.040 in the finished mead.

The recipe:
  • 13kg honey from Brasil added in 8kg and 5kg batches.
  • lemon rind from two lemons, 60 min in 10l
  • 80g Saaz hops pelets, 60 min in 10l
  • 30g Saaz hops pelets, 30 min in 10l
  • 30g Saaz hops pelets, 15 min in 10l
  • 4ts ginger-powder, 3 weeks
  • One stick cinnamon, 3 weeks
  • 32 carnation (nellik), 3 weeks
  • 1ts anise

No comments: